Would you like to help me test (iOS) push notifications for PurpleAir sensors?

Hello, I develop Paku, an iOS app for PurpleAir, and I’m working on adding push notifications for sensors when they exceed your chosen AQI category.

If that sounds like a feature you’re interested in, I’d love your help testing it out. You can download the beta version of Paku through this link: Join the Paku for PurpleAir beta - TestFlight - Apple

Then go to Settings → Push Notifications, and “subscribe” to PakuPush. Note that this will not charge you - TestFlight apps do not actually charge for in app purchases or subscriptions. After that, you’ll be able to add alerts for specific sensors.

You can also add or change alerts directly from the map by tapping on a sensor, then opening the menu.

I’d greatly appreciate feedback on everything, from the UI, to the configurability, to whether this is a service you would pay for. I’d love to offer it for free, but running a push notification server costs money. I’m hoping $5.99/year (50¢ a month!) is reasonable.

2 Likes

Hello Mr. Bashour,
I have I have installed Test Flight and Paku for PurpleAir. I have been unable to find “Push Notifications” in settings.

Any updates on this? My wife just asked me about notifications for AQI exceeding thresholds on our sensor. I am up for testing. LMK.

1 Like

This feature is now available on the App Store! It’s a pro feature to help covers costs, since I have to run a server to send the push notifications. There’s a one week free trial, but I’m happy to share a promo code for longer so you can check it out if you email support@paku.app

App Store link: ‎Paku for PurpleAir on the App Store

1 Like

Thanks Kyle. I installed the app and have been playing with the free features so far. It works nicely. It would be nice to try it long enough to experience “an event”. Our air quality is generally very good, so a notification could be a long time coming!

1 Like