Q: How do the PurpleAir sensors differ, and can I mount them indoors OR outdoors?

A: Meant for indoor use only, the PA-I-Indoor sensor incorporates a full-color LED allowing the device to glow the color of the current air quality (green, yellow, orange, red, purple, and maroon). Sporting a simple design that sits comfortably on a counter or tabletop, the PA-I-Indoor measures real-time PM2.5 concentrations. Built-in WiFi enables the sensor to transmit data to the PurpleAir map, where it is stored and made available to any smart device.

The PA-II sensor can be used indoors or outdoors, and measures real-time PM2.5 concentrations for residential, commercial, or industrial use. Built-in WiFi enables the sensor to transmit data to the PurpleAir map, where it is stored and made available to any smart device.

The PA-II-SD sensor can also be used indoors or outdoors, and measures real-time PM2.5 concentrations for residential, commercial, or industrial use. Built-in WiFi enables the sensor to transmit data to the PurpleAir map, where it is stored and made available to any smart device. For locations with limited or no WiFi access, the PA-II-SD incorporates an SD card and real-time clock, allowing the sensor to record and store data locally and independently of WiFi.

Currently, you must remove the microSD card and plug it into your computer to read and analyze the data. It is not possible to upload the microSD card data to the PurpleAir map. To transmit data to the PurpleAir map, the sensor must have a WiFi connection at the time of transmission.

The sensor housing on the PA-II and PA-II-SD is designed to protect the device from the elements while allowing air to flow freely past the two laser counters. These two sensors must be mounted in the vertical position, with the open side facing down. We recommend installing in a location high enough so that water splash or snow cannot get into the underside of the sensor.