wired/Ethernet connection option still planned?

Hello,

Is wired connection to units, with ethernet data support, still on the roadmap for Purple Air sensors? And if so, any ETA? Last year, those answers were yes, and unknown.

Thanks,
Robert

3 Likes

Just asking. if this is the case will it be able to be powered by ethernet. So most switches give Poe.

1 Like

That is the assumption - if the unit is IP/Ethernet, power could be provided that way. Hopefully if/when Purpleair does finally make such a sensor available, that will be the case. But right now, there is no confirmation they will, when or what will be possible for any such sensor.

Regards,
Robert

1 Like

+1 I’m waiting for POE version as well

1 Like

Yes, we’ve been working on a PoE sensor for some time. We don’t have a timeline for when it will be production-ready. Stay tuned!

same response one year ago :slight_smile: (but glad to hear it is still in the queue)

1 Like

We bought a POE adapter and it seems to be working.

1 Like

To clarify, you are using a POE adapter to power your sensor but you are still using WiFi? I believe what others are asking for is a wired network connection when WiFi is not available.

I mounted my purpleAir sensor near the corner of my roof where I can grab power from a nearby always on outdoor outlet that I also use for holiday lighting but it turns out the WiFi signal is a tad weak at that location.

I am using POE for powering the sensor too, with an adapter. But that still requires WiFi for data collection.

Robert

Hi, yes, POE to power but still connecting to WiFI for data.

That’s good to know!! If it’s working, PurplrAir sould try these on a trial basis, see if the product is working, and if the public is satisfied. If the public is satisfied, then it should be rolled out to anyone who wants to buy one.

Still waiting on PoE version… any timeline?

I think this will be a perpetual “we’re working on it”, with no end date, unfortunately