Anybody using a fine mesh "bag" over PurpleAir monitors to keep out bugs/debris?

Per the title, has anybody used a fine mesh screen to keep out bugs and debris from the sensors? I wouldn’t want to interrupt the airflow, but I have also found that many of my sensors are getting bugs and other stuff in them, requiring frequent maintenance and sensor replacement. It dawned on me during a recent maintenance outing that a bag made of a fine metal or plastic mesh could potentially do wonders for keeping the device clean. That said, I wouldn’t want to meaningfully disrupt air flow (or filter out air pollution particles) to the device (causing lag or otherwise decreasing accuracy). Has anybody done any testing of something like this? Here’s the mesh I’m considering:

2 Packs 304 Stainless Steel Woven Wire 120 Mesh Fine Screen Mesh Steel Woven Mesh for Filter Mesh, Filtration Cloth, 11.8 x 39.3 Inch

Thanks for any input!

Always monitoring,
Mark

I queried Adrain of Purple Air about doing this as I had a bug problem too. He advised not to cover the opening with anything.

1 Like

Good to know. Thanks for sharing that advice!

Perhaps, a insect repellent might do the trick, which could be applied sporadically on the outer casing and reapplied as and when needed.

1 Like

Unless the repellent interferes with the data, in which case ignore my previous response.

1 Like

My sensors have always a lot of problems with small animals… they are too pry
often some comparisons between different sensors are invalidated because one of the sensors has started to monitor insect works rather than monitoring the air.

So all my sensors have a small protective net (a plastic mosquito net). PA-II also has one.

PurpleAir_01

3 Likes

How did you attach the screen to the bottom of the device? I want to do this to my purple as it will be in a remote location and there be no one to clean out the bugs.
Thanks,

The monitor has a VOC sensor in it. Not sure how that might be affected by bug spray, but I’d imagine there are some VOC’s in bug spray.

The bugs I often see are even smaller than those holes. Little tiny tiny bugs. Smaller than mosquitos.

Anyone have any good ideas on how to attach the screen to the bottom of the purple?