IAQ and public housing EJ study

Hi, is anyone monitoring indoor air quality? I’m involved in the early stages of an IAQ pilot study to test whether residents in public housing in the District of Columbia are at risk due to lower IAQ. This is a grant funded community data science project to impact EJ communities.

We are interested in about 50 sensors to measure PM (and also considering CO2 as an indicator of poor ventilation). We can compare IAQ in public housing versus IAQ in private residents in the more affluent wards.

I was a bit alarmed to learn there is no consensus on IAQ standards for minimal human exposure like we have with the NAAQS.

1 Like

Interesting project, and in my view, most people are clueless to the harms of both excessive PM and CO2 (and shouldn’t be, so any enlightenment would be helpful). I measure both PM and CO2, but not with the same meter. PM is with the PA-I-Indoor, which seems to work well. CO2 I have to use a different manufacturer’s meter (there’s a bunch of them on Amazon, etc). It’d be great if PurpleAir ever combined the two someday.

For me, it’s a constant tradeoff … to lower CO2 requires opening more windows (or expensive HVAC updates), which let in more PM. Almost have to choose what evil is more tolerated.

Regards,
Robert

Great project! My husband and I started a group called Indoor Air Care Advocates. We are currently focusing on improving IAQ in schools to reduce the peer to peer transmission of airborne illnesses. We believe that IAQ monitoring is very important and that one key element to monitor is CO2 to determine how ventilated the area is. We purchased a couple Aranet 4 CO2 monitors, but having the purple monitors connected to the web is attractive. Any word on when Purple air will add CO2 monitoring to their indoor monitor?

1 Like